Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2014

On the bookshelf in January


I know I was very lax towards the end of last year with my 'book club'  (read that as lax with ALL posts) and I didn't post for the last couple of three months but I love reading and I loving recommending books which I think others will enjoy, so I have decided to carry it on and I hope you will bear with me.

Lets wipe the slate clean and pretend that I didn't miss on posting about books I had read at the latter end of 2013 shall we, after all we're all friends here!

I do have to give a disclaimer and that is; I don't expect each month to be rammed with read upon read. There is a battle between free time vs no bloody time going on in our house this year and I expect it to remain that way for the majority of the year, but I promise to do my very best and get through at least one book a month. Currently book reading is only when I fall into bed at the end of the day and I manage a chapter (if I'm lucky) before I nod off.

Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah
Adeline Yen Mah's childhood in China during the civil war was a time of fear, isolation and humiliation. The cause of this was not political upheaval but systematic emotional and physical abuse by her step-mother and siblings, and rejection by her father. Falling Leaves is the story of a 'Fifth Younger Daughter' and her determination to survive the pain of a lonely childhood.

My Verdict: This is a harrowing story, a harrowing TRUE story which makes the read all that more upsetting. It is brilliantly written and to read what Adeline went through and how her spirit was not destroyed is incredible. If you are interested in the ties which bind us to our families then this is the book for you.
 

7 comments:

  1. I read this a while back and agree a harrowing book. Love your book reviews so keep em coming! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay, i hope you are well and the storm isn't affecting you. I've been slacked on the reading front as the usb cable to my kindle is lost! I need to buy a new one but I seriously been slacking. xx
    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds interesting - I haven't read any true stories in such a long time so I'll see if my library has a copy of it :) x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read books like this before, they are harrowing but also interesting and eye opening. Adding to my list. Plus the cover is great.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds really interesting! need to find it and read it too ;)
    very nice blog by the way :)

    kisses from Russia,
    Juliet
    RUSSIAN DOLL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! The book looks great.
    http://offthenutshell.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!