Pages

Thursday 17 January 2013

Loves and Loathes - December


Before we knew it the month of Christmas madness rolled around, but now that it's over and we're into a bright new year, here are the ones which made it onto my list for December - both the naughty and the nice.


Starting with the loves list, is the gorgeous Christmas Eve candle by Yankee.  Yep I know they are expensive but the large jars last for 110-150 hours and I burned this one through the whole of December.  So I think it was well worth it in my book.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!


To me this really smells like Christmas.  That probably sounds a bit nuts, but there's something about the month of December which takes on a scent of it's own.  Almost like you can taste the anticipation in the air.  It's something which you can't quite describe but it's all around you.  Loved this candle and it just looked so pretty burning on my mantlepiece.


Next up is Rituals Magic Touch ultra rich whipped body cream.  This came in my December Glossybox and it is amazing.  The cream really feels whipped, it is thick and luxurious without being heavy.  It sank quickly into my skin without leaving any stickiness and my skin felt hydrated for a good 12 hours.  The scent I received was Cherry Blossom and Rice Milk, which is nicely scented but not overpowering.  I will definitely be purchasing a full sized one of these.  Have you tried any Rituals products and if so what do you think?


The read I've been loving this month is Room by Emma Donoghue.  I had seen this tome in the bestsellers charts for a number of weeks but had never got around to buying it, so when I saw it for 50p in a local charity shop I snapped it up.

"It's Jack's birthday and he's excited about turning five.  He lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet.  He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real - only him, Ma and the things in Room.  Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside..."

I thought of two reasons why Jack could be locked in a room, and I have to say I was wrong on both counts.  I won't say anymore as I'd hate to spoil it if you want to read this novel.  I enjoyed it but it is written from a five year old's perspective so there is a degree of 'baby talk' and if you aren't comfortable with the narrator being a child then you may want to give this a miss.


The lip product I have been so in love with this month is Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector, I have written a separate post on it which you can read here.  So I won't rave on about it anymore.

Last up on my loves list are these baby's, my wellie boots from Aigle.


I've actually had these wellies for 2 years.  I remember when I showed them to Mr B.P. in the shop and I thought he was going to pass out when he saw they cost £115.  £115 for a pair of wellie boots...... for walking the dog...... are you mad women?! I can hear him say even now, but he is eating his words as he now wants a pair for himself! Yes they were expensive but if you spend 10 months of the year in wellies, walking a dog twice a day they soooooon pay for themselves I can assure you.  Aigle are a french brand and my particular boots are lined with neoprene, the same stuff they use to insulate wetsuits, so wearing these boots is a little like a cross between wellies and walking boots - they keep your feet dry and warm, toasty warm in fact and the other thing I love about them is there is no 'welly wobble' you know that awful slopping against your calves business, as these are a snug (but not tight) fit.

Neoprene lining in red

I don't think Aigle carry this particular model anymore, but there is plenty to choose from on their website Aigle

So onto my loath of December.  I feel so mean writing about this product in this way, as I am usually a great fan of the Dermalogica products but their daily microfoliant made me just go urgh.  It came in a Glossybox and I love the principle of it, a powder formula which when mixed with water (you mix it in your hands) turns in to an exfoliating creamy paste.  This product for gentle daily exfoliating is great and for traveling, the powder idea is super but because this is a rice based product the smell just makes me want to gag.  It reminds me of a product I used to take as a kid for I.B.S. - enough said.  And that is why it has made its way onto my loathes list.


Have you tried this product? What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. I'm in love with Yankee Candles as well. I haven't bought the big ones yet as they are quite expensive, but I think you got me convinced now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a little on the pricey side aren't they? but soooo good! I do try and mix it up in my house with cheaper brands or little tealights just to try and keep the costs down.

      Delete
  2. I love the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, as it has done wonders for my skin!
    Love quite a few of the Rituals products too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see on a lot of blogs/twitter people raving about this product. I agree with you it's a great product I just can't abide the smell! :(

      Delete
  3. Great post and products :)
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on the proper wellies if you're doing anything except walking around town in them. I have a similar neoprene pair from Tayberry which I live in most of the year - definitely worth the money!

    Gemma xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are aren't they! Money per wear they are probably the cheapest footwear I've bought! x

      Delete
  5. Hi how are you? I love Yankee candle and the smells is just rich and inviting, however i don't dare light one in my current accommodation. I have them when i go back to my parents house sometime.

    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no why is that Anna? Something nice to look forward to though when you go back to your parents!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely loved reading this post! I really liked the Rituals cream too, it felt so soothing on the skin! I'm also on the lookout for a good pair of wellies, I've never needed any before but now I live in the countryside I feel it's only right that I invest in a nice pair. Predictably a pair of Hunter's are on the top of my wish list!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie, glad you like it! Oh yes countryside and wellies go hand in hand! Are you going to get a plain pair or some funky coloured ones? x

      Delete
  7. I love Dermalogica Microfoliant! I really need to read Room and I love candles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people seem to love it Sandra, it appears very popular, I'd love it too if it didn't have that god awful smell! x

      Delete
  8. I love Rituals too, they make the most wonderful home perfume (I think it's called Sunrise).
    Ps. I love your blog! Following you :-)
    Coco
    Coco et La vie en rose
    http://www.pinktopping.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. I didn't realise Rituals made a home perfume, I shall have to look it up. I shall also have to have a good look at your blog :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!